Saturday, February 14, 2015

Public Transport, Day 1

Today was an adventure. The day I've been concerned about since I got here... Traveling alone and confused throughout the city for the first time. Well, I was only ACTUALLY alone for the first bus ride... Then I met another intern also traveling up to northern London. Yet for the past three days I've been obsessing over this journey (not out loud of course) and the stops I would be using.

I was out the door surprisingly on time -- just proof that I was nervous about missing my train! I had my entire journey written out on both my wrist for safe keeping, and a piece of paper for practicality. Plus, an alternative route just in case. Prepared and pretending to be confident, I was walking to the bus stop. Only about a 10 minute walk from my host home. I made it there about 5 minutes earlier than my bus was scheduled. There I was standing in the cold London air in silence with a group of strangers who never seem to make eye contact... The minutes passed and soon it was 9:01. Uh oh. No bus had pulled around the corner. Pretending to be relaxed I sat clicking around on my phone -- pointless because I have no internet currently. The minutes ticked on. I could tell the crowd around the bus stop was starting to grow more irritable than usual. 9:05, no bus. 9:10, still no bus. Had my online trip planner failed me?? Did I miscalculate something? Maybe miss a warning of a bus strike? (which are quite common.)

A woman walked up to the bus stop quickly, you could tell she knew what she was doing. She informed the crowd of us waiting that the bus drivers were trying to switch from the night shift to the morning drivers, and the drivers hadn't arrived. Great... She continued on walking, not waiting for the bus to arrive. Panic. I am set to meet my fellow intern just in time for our train! About another 5 minutes passed, and with a silent sigh of relief the bus rounded the corner. Phew. Now I will make it! Maybe not on time but I'm on my way! The bus quickly took us to the train station. I had 5 minutes to spare!

I met the other intern and together we boarded our train. Two stops ahead another intern joined us and off we were. It was a peaceful journey in. We had our own seats, and switching from the rail to the underground and back to trains went simply. Bless London for making clear signs! We even had some time for reading on our last train. We made it on time and walked up to the Sublime office.

A young man walked in a few minutes after us. He had come to talk with us about prayer walking, and prayer and intercession. We did a few worship songs and prayed, then we began our discussion. It was so interesting to hear what this guy had to say. He (and just about every other Christian I've met in London) is much more on the charismatic side than I am used to. We talked about the power of prayer, God speaking into us, us listening to that and not doubting it is God, and hooks for how to hear from God more. I am definitely out of my comfort zone here, but I know God is growing and stretching me with all of this new experiences and new teaching and worship styles.

After, the group went off to prayer walk around an area we will be serving, and I went off to meet my mentor. She was very kind. It is kind of funny to be assigned a mentor, who really is just a stranger connected to me through church. I'm not always the quickest to pour out my thoughts and feelings with people, but I am open to building a relationship with this woman, who after today I know she knows her stuff! She had some great things to say, and some great pieces of advice for any Christian to abide by. Which is great because I spent most of the afternoon just nodding in agreement without having much to add in.

On the way home I was absolutely amazed at how PACKED the trains and the underground were! It was myself, and another intern traveling together back to southern London. Our first train was a breeze, we got on at one of the first stations so we both got seats right away. But as we got off the train and walked through the station in Central London, I quickly realized what 5 o'clock looks like to Londoners! They don't call it rush hour for nothing! We found our way down to the underground station we needed. As we turned the corner onto the platform, we were greeted by a four foot wide WALL of people from the edge of the yellow line and back. I was shocked! As the tube pulled up, the other intern and I laughed and shook our heads. The tube was already full! A few people got off, and three times that amount squeezed themselves on before the doors shut just inches behind them. We had to wait THREE TUBES before we were able to be one of the lucky few to squeeze in while hoping not to be squeezed by the shutting door! Each tube that pulled up was as full as the last, and we had to inch our way closer to the golden yellow line of hope --only those whose toes were touching it could manage to get on!

Once on, I was lucky enough to share my personal bubble with about 5 strangers while awkwardly bending my arm uncomfortably to hold a bar for stability. The last thing I wanted was to fall as the tube stopped into one of the strangers sharing my bubble! Each stop people pushed their way past to get off, and a new bunch shoved their way in. When the time came to get off I was thrilled! Past the part of my journey needing to share my space. Wrong. As we approached the train taking us the final way of our journey, I was delighted that it was just as full... Except with less handles and bars to hold onto to prevent falling during the quick stops! We crowded in the door way and stood, huddled together unwillingly and waited for the 15 minute journey to the first stop in Bromley to come. After that, it started to clear out a bit. Eventually I got a seat just before arriving to my final destination.

During this journey I realized what a crowd really was. I thought of the cliché image of "going against the crown". I could see here how easy it would be to literally be washed away in the crowd. If I was trying to go the opposite way as these people, I would never make it! It was hard enough moving 6 inches, never the less walking the opposite direction! Thank the Lord that was not the case.

I made it home just in time for dinner. God is so good! The first time traveling alone for two hours across London was behind me! I made it through with minimal stress, and no fatal mistakes. Now I get to look forward to this journey every Monday! Despite the crowds and confusion, it really is not a bad journey. It gives me a chance to hear strangers, talk with new people, and see London in its packed to the brim glory!

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

2 comments:

  1. It is so good to hear of your journey Marissa!! We are so proud of you! I would have been terrified to do what you had to do --- phew!! You Rock!! Can we send you something in the mail?? What is your address? Please include it in one of your blogs. I love you girl and keep you in my daily thoughts and prayers. Since you have to repeat that journey every Monday, perhaps you can rename the day --- Moan-day, hee hee hee Love ya!! :o}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow your blog it was nice, and I suggest an importent thing :-
    The control & restraint training london the whole thing are wholly time from one home to an added in London. The matter will provision jet common in calculation to most plentiful administrators with in method the first aid at work course eccentricities can assistance to convert the determination wide-ranging or get gifted. The personal license courses london the factual flat race of isolated life however can originate emergency first aid training london to this estimation of determination.

    ReplyDelete